Now that we’re home more than ever, it’s a great chance to use Alexa for a variety of audio content. Using Alexa for consuming short Flash Briefings is great, but did you know that you can use your Echo for podcasts also?
Recently Amazon has integrated some new providers into Alexa for listening to Podcasts, so if you were using a 3rd party skill like Anypod previously, it’s worth selecting one of the newer methods because it’s a shorter invocation phrase!
There are a few different podcast providers you can now choose from. If you pay for any Music services like Spotify or Apple Music, I would recommend selecting that service as your Podcast provider because you can pause an episode on your Echo, then continue the episode on your phone (or the other way around!).
The list of podcast providers now includes Apple Music, Pandora, Deezer, SiriusXM, Tidal, and Vero – but you can also one of the previously existing providers – Amazon Music, Spotify, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn.
Ready to get started? Here are the steps to select your Podcast provider of choice.
- Open the Amazon Alexa app, then tap the “More” button in the bottom left corner.
- Select “Settings”
- Scroll down and select “Music & Podcasts”
- Under Services, tap Link New Service, or select one of the provider services listed below.
- Once you’ve selected your provider of choice, you will need to authenticate with your login credentials for that provider.
- You also will need to enable the provider’s Skill if you haven’t already.
- Once you’ve successfully signed in and enabled the skill, tap the X icon in the upper right corner.
However, this doesn’t complete the process – at this point, you still must say “Alexa, play (Podcast name) from (Provider)”.
To make it easier, on the same “Music & Podcasts” settings page, follow the steps below.
- Tap Select Default Service.
- At the bottom of the page, Select your Provider as the default podcast service.
Now you only need to say “Alexa, play (Podcast name)” for the podcast to start playing! And if you tell Alexa to “pause” or “stop” the podcast, you can pick up from where you left off using Alexa or your phone.